We speak to raw food coach Polly Noble about her personal juice journey and how she alkalised her diet to help fight cancer.
You may think that juicing is just a sure-fire way to cure the hangover from the night before and you might be right. But it is so so much more than that. I have been a self-confessed Juice Junkie for over 6 years since my very first cancer diagnosis. Yes, I’ve had two in total and I don’t plan on making it three which is why juice is such an integral part of my regime.
In November 2005, my world changed in an instant. Everything suddenly revolved around around scans, hospital waiting rooms and Mr. Oncologist. Yes, I got cancer. Aged 24. No cancer in the family, no pre-disposition and no idea why. But eventually I got “better.” And then four years later, I got it again, and was told it was “incurable.” At this point, I was really starting to wonder what I was doing wrong and what I could do to ignite my own health revolution and give my body a reason to love me, not break me down. Which is when I decided to get serious about how my lifestyle choices affected the quality of my health and the life I was experiencing.
That’s why for me, juicing is non-negotiable. It’s abundantly clear that having cancer, it’s super important for me to only feed myself with the best nutrition in order to alkalise my body, boost my immune system and help my body fight my disease.
What does alkalising mean and why is it so important?
Like anything, our internal system has a “happy place” where it is most comfortable and where it prefers to be, in order to create optimal health. In the instance of our bodies, it is the pH levels of our blood that determine how healthy we feel. Below is a picture of the pH scale which shows the varying levels of pH. Our blood’s happy place is at 7.365, just above neutral, making it slightly alkaline.
What causes the body to be acidic?
Acidity is caused by a number of factors:
- A poor diet high in refined foods like white pasta, white bread, cookies, meat and processed foods and drinking refined and artificial sodas, alcohol and concentrated fruit juice drinks.
- Stress is highly underrated and extremely detrimental to the internal workings of our body acidifying our pH and making us vulnerable to illness.
- Toxic load from pollution and pharmaceutical drugs such as antibiotics
- Negative emotions can lower your pH so think of 10 things to be grateful for and raise your pH.
A diseased body will always be acidic as this is where fungus, yeast infections and more serious diseases like cancer thrive – which is most definitely what we don’t want! So in order to stay well, it’s important to consume a diet high in alkaline forming foods such as vegetables and green leafy vegetables. And what’s the easiest way to do that? JUICE ‘EM BABY!
Why Does Green Juice Get A Gold Star?
Most people start off drinking fruit juices but I prefer to advocate drinking green juices, especially for anyone with cancer as this helps to alkalise the body and fight disease.
Here are 8 reasons why you should become a green juice junkie!
- It’s alkaline – Green juice is incredibly alkalising due to its’ high chlorophyll content which oxygenates the blood -something that cancer hates!
It helps to release stored toxins from the body reducing the toxic load.
- Boosts energy – Chlorophyll found in green leafy vegetables elevates your haemoglobin count and as a result improves circulation and energy levels.
- Blood builder – Green juice contains phytonutrients that build iron helping to enrich the blood.
- Saves money! Juicing saves you some pennies and reduces waste! Broccoli stems, radish and beetroot tops do not go to waste! Stick ‘em in the juicer!
- Feed your cells – Your skin, hair and nails shine like they’ve never shone before when you start delivering your cells with liquid nutrition!
- Improves the gut – Intestinal health and digestion are greatly improved with a regular shot of juice.
- Nutrient super high-way – It’s the fastest and easiest way to flood your body with vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients essential for health without having to chow down on a tonne of spinach because let’s be honest, that’s not fun!
Polly features in The Funky Fresh Juice Book in the Juicy Community Section. Here’s her recipe in the book:
Knight in Shining Greenery! juice
1 medium cucmber
1/2 peeled lemon
4 broccoli florets
2 golden delicious apples
2 tblspns E3Live (optional)
Instructions: Juice the fruit and vegetables together. Add the E3 Live and give it a good stir.